Banner Finance Access & Training
Employees who have responsibility for reviewing departmental budget performance and/or submitting budget data can gain access to that financial information online through the Self-Service Banner Finance. To gain access to the appropriate financial data, complete the Banner Finance Access Request Form and submit it to the Controller’s Office.
Banner Finance – General
To help you understand how to find and interpret the data in Banner Finance, refer to the Banner Budget User Manual. In addition to the manual provided here, the Finance and Administration Division has created a short video tutorial. Click on the image to the right and the video will begin. The video is approximately 20 minutes in length.
Budget Development – Submitting Budgets
Immediately prior to the start of the fiscal year (usually in early May), departmental budget allocations to the various account codes should be made in Banner using the Budget Development function.
Budget Development – Approving Budgets
Once a department head/manager completes his/her budget(s), they should be reviewed and approved by the respective director or Division Head.
Online Purchase Requisitions
Beginning in July 2012, requisitions should be submitted electronically using Banner. Any employee with the appropriate Banner access can submit a purchase requisition in Banner. The requisition then electronically travels through an approval process prior to it reaching the Purchasing Office. The person submitting the requisition can track its status in the process in Banner.
Beginning in July 2012, requests to transfer budget dollars should be submitted electronically using Banner Self-Service. Any employee with the appropriate Banner permissions can submit a Budget Transfer request in Banner. The request then electronically travels through an approval process prior to it reaching the Controller’s Office. The person submitting the request can track its status in the process in Banner.
Coincidental with the launch of online Purchase Requisitions, Budget Transfers and Purchase Order functionalities in July 2012, the ability to review and approve those documents will migrate online as well. Those people who are next in line to approve a particular document will receive an automated e-mail (at approximately 3 pm) letting them know there is at least one document awaiting their review and encouraging them to log into Banner Self Service to review and act upon the document(s). The following instructions show new users how to do that.
Index codes are basically a shortcut system that we use to automatically default the appropriate Fund and Program Code associated with the operating expenses of a particular Organization (“Org” or “Orgn”). The use of Index codes reduces data entry time and errors.
Certain Index codes have been created for each Org. If you use your 5-digit Org code in the Index code field on any Banner or other form (e.g., a Budget Query, a Requisition, a Budget Transfer form, etc.), when you “validate” or “complete” the form, it should automatically populate the Fund, Orgn and Program code fields. You will simply then need to fill in the Account Code applicable to the transaction you are performing.
Live Training Sessions
Lastly, to supplement the other materials, several live training sessions are offered to explain how to access and understand the budget data available and utilize the various functionalities. The following are training sessions scheduled for 2012-13:
- Wednesday, July 11, 2012 from 10:00 until 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, July 12, 2012 from 2:00 until 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, July 13, 2012 from 10:00 until 11:30 a.m.
- Monday, July 16, 2012 from 10:00 until 11:30 a.m.
- Monday, July 16, 2012 from 2:00 until 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 18, 2012 from 10:00 until 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, August 22, 2012 from 10:00 until 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, August 23, 2012 from 2:00 until 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, August 24, 2012 from 10:00 until 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, September 19, 2012 from 10:00 until 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, December 5, 2012 from 4:15 until 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday, December 6, 2012 from 2:00 until 3:30 p.m.
- Monday, December 10, 2012 from noon-1:30 p.m.
- Monday, December 10, 2012 from 4:15 until 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 11, 2012 from 10:00 until 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, December 12, 2012 from 10:00 until 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, December 12, 2012 from 2:00 until 3:30 p.m.
- Thursday, December 13, 2012 from 2:00 until 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, December 14, 2012 from 10:00 until 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, December 20. 2012 from 2:00 until 3:30 p.m.
- Monday, March 25, 2013 from 2:00 until 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, July 12, 2013 from from 10:00 until 11:30 a.m.
New employees who have budget responsibilities and any employee who wants a refresher or has a question are welcome to attend. To reserve a space, complete the reservation request form.
If you have a specific question about reading budget data in Banner Self-Service or would like to request a special training session for a small group, feel free to contact Jill Snyder (330-5139 or email@example.com) or Sharon Reich (330-5136 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
NEW TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES
Ten more Banner Finance training sessions were just added throughout [...]
GOOD LUCK, JOE
Joe Binotto, General Manager of Lafayette Dining Services, will be [...]
Please review the College’s Wireless Communication Policy for information on cell [...]
Purchasing policies for faculty, administrators, & staff
Office of the Vice President
316 Markle Hall
Easton, PA 18042
Fax: (610) 330-5700